Mrs. A. Fagin Window
The stained glass window on the south side of the front doors is inscribed, “Dontated by Mrs. A. Fagin in Memory of Her Husband”.
Mrs. A. Fagin was Anna L. Fagin. Her maiden name was Anna L. Redmond and she was born on May 7, 1872 to parents James Redmond and Ann Devon. Anna Redmond Fagin’s mother, Ann Devon Redmond, was born on June 8, 1838 and, is considered to be the first white child born in the Deerfield and Lake Forest area.
Anna’s father, James Redmond was born 1834 in Wexford County, Ireland. In 1850, at the age of 15 James, along with his siblings, came to America. One of James sisters (Anna’s aunt), Catherine Redmond, married Peter Dawson who’s names are memorialized on The Holy Family window.
Anna L. Redmond married Michael C. Fagan on on July 24, 1895. Michael Fagan was born on December 26th, 1865 and died on June 7, 1909 at the age of 44 years old, around the time our church building was completed. Anna donated the window in honor of her recently deceased husband. Michael and Anna are both buried in St. Patrick Cemetery. It isn’t clear why their last nameis spelled ‘Fagin’ on the window. It’s possible that’s how the name was spelled in Ireland and was somehowchanged when the family came to America.
In 1914, Anna Fagan re-married to Frank Niles who was born in Germany then came to America. He, unfortunately, died of the flu four years later in 1918.