The Barker Window

The stained glass window, located upstairs in the choir loft on the north wall, is inscribed, “In Mory of George and Julia Barker.  Donated by Mrs. Barker”. 

 

According to the 1880 United States Federal Census there was a married couple named John and Mary Barker who were from Ireland living in Vernon Township.  John was 36 years old and Mary was 25 at the time.  They had two children living in their household; George (age 1) and Julia (age 1 month), along with Margaret Barker (age 75).

 

On January 6, 1899 the Lake County Independent newspaper published the following; “Death has again cast a gloom over our quiet little village, claiming Geo. Barker, who departed from this world at 12:30 o’clock New Years morning. George was a few days over twenty year and three months of age.  He was of a kind, good disposition, which had won for him a large number of friends, all of whom join in extending to the bereaved parents and sister their heart-felt sympathy.  The cause of his death was typhoid fever.  He had been sick since about Thanksgiving.  The funeral took place Sunday morning at 9:30 from the house.”

 

Two weeks later the Lake County Independent newspaper published another notice; “The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. John Barker will be pained to learn that the angel of death has again visited their home, this time claiming for his own their only daughter Julia, a beautiful girl of nineteen.  Julia was of a sweet and winning disposition endearing her to a large circle of friends who will mourn her untimely taking off.  The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the doubly bereaved parents, Julia’s death occuring just two weeks from that of their only son George’s funeral.”

 

John and Mary Barker lost both of their children approximately two weeks apart from each other.Ten years after their deaths, Mary Barker donated the stained glass window to honor her two children, George and Julia.  

George Barker, Julia Barker, Mary Barker, John Barker, St. Patrick Church, Lake Forest, Illinois, Stained Glass Window
George Barker, St. Patrick Church, Lake Forest, IL
January 6, 1899 article from the Lake County Independent newspaper
January 20, 1899 article from the Lake County Independent newspaper
 

©2020 St Patrick Church | 991 S. Waukegan Road Lake Forest, IL 60045 | Phone: (847)-234-1401 | FAX: (847)-234-1433

  • Facebook Social Icon